Frequently Asked Questions

Tax Filing Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Q: How do I get my Form W-2?

A: Form W-2 may be able to download your W-2s even before you receive them in the mail.

Your employer is required to mail your completed Form W-2 (copies B, C, and 2) showing your compensation and tax withholding amounts for the calendar year by January 31. If you do not receive your W-2 by January 31, contact your employer to confirm your address and find out when the form was mailed. If you have not received your W-2 by February 15, then call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040. A representative will complete a W-2 complaint on Form 4598, Form W-2, or 1099 Not Received or Incorrect.

Q: What information should I bring to Adams Financial?

A: Make sure to bring the following materials to your tax interview:

  • Wage statements (Form W-2)
  • Social Security and/or unemployment income
  • Pension, or retirement income (Forms 1099-R)
  • Income and expenses from rentals
  • Social Security card(s)
  • Alimony paid or received
  • Driver's license(s)
  • Record of purchase or sale of real estate
  • Dependents' Social Security numbers and dates of birth
  • Medical and dental expenses
  • Last year's tax return
  • Real estate and personal property taxes
  • Information on education expenses
  • Estimated taxes or foreign taxes paid
  • Commissions received and/or paid
  • Cash and non-cash charitable donations
  • Information on the sales of stocks and/or bonds
  • Mortgage or home equity loan interest paid (Form 1098)
  • Self-employed business income and expenses
  • Unreimbursed employment-related expenses
  • Lottery and/or gambling winnings and losses
  • Job-related educational expenses
  • State refund amount
  • Childcare expenses and provider information

Q: How quickly will I receive my refund at Adams Financial?

A: When you file electronically and choose one of the free IRS Direct options, you can receive your refund directly from the IRS by direct deposit in approximately 8 to 15 days. You can also choose to have the IRS mail you a check in approximately 21 to 28 days. IRS Direct is free with paid tax preparation. We also offer a variety of financial products available to qualified customers through our lending partners if you need to receive money faster.

Q: I need to change my withholding. How do I update my personal information?

A: Use Form W-4, Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate. If you get married or divorced, if a child is born, or if you no longer can claim a child as your dependent, you will need to complete a new Form W-4. When you begin to work at a new company, your employer must give you a Form W-4 to complete. You can also request a Form W-4 from your employer at any time to reflect a change in your tax situation.

Q: Do you stand behind your work?

A: When you pay for tax preparation at Adams Financial, you are automatically covered under our guarantee which entitles you to reimbursement of penalties and interest charged by a taxing authority if a tax preparer at Adams Financial makes an error preparing your tax return.